Need to perserve a Dead Fish

Submitted by Neil craver on 12/3/04 at 5:40 PM. ( Neilcraver@aol.com ) 68.18.169.143

i have fish i want to perserve?not sure how?just need them in a jar,but i don't want them to smell or lost Any Any color to them.They are very brigthly colored,and them i have tried decolored them?is glyerin he way to go

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Dead fish

This response submitted by cur on 12/3/04 at 6:06 PM. ( ) 4.253.67.227

There are few ways to preserve the living color once a fish dies. Distinctive patterns may remain intct in fixed and preserved specimens, but most fish that are wet preserved eventually bleach out and then become a pale sickly orange/brown.

Some of the newer siliconizing methods seem to preserve color better than wet processes, but that is not something you can do without a lot of specialized equipment.

I've found that living fish or fresh dead fish will hold color for quite a while when placed in a strong detergent bath, but once they are fixed and preserved, that phenomena ceases.

Glycerin won't solve the problem. Your best bet would be to have the fish freeze-dried and then either paint the colors back yourself, or have a competent taxidermist do the job.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu