Identification of a crocodylian: Gharial

Submitted by Adam on 12/6/04 at 12:40 PM. ( ) 69.208.70.76

Check out this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7119242415

Isn't this a Garial? Arn't they HIGHLY protected. I wrote the lady but she doesn't seem to get it. Can anyone make a positive ID?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Gavial

This response submitted by wetnwild on 12/6/04 at 12:49 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Yup, it is an Asian Gavial. Heavily protected, and if the feds catch her its a huge fine!

Feds Are Out Of Luck......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/6/04 at 1:22 PM. ( ) 216.148.244.92

...This gal and her "crock" are in the UK. They can sell a lot of stuff there that we can't even look at.

Gharial Gavial

This response submitted by cur on 12/7/04 at 1:20 AM. ( ) 4.253.66.12

The "Washington" Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora, commonly called CITES, lists the gavial as a CITES I category. India, a signor nation and member of the Convention lists the gavial as CITES I also.

While each member nation in the European Union has it's own legislative or regulatory committees, the EU regulations usually apply across the board....except for France (does that suprise?).

While the USA is also a Convention member, our nation also has specific control legislation in effect such as the Lacy and Black Bass Acts to control sales and interstate commerce in wildlife.

EU member nations do not assign restrictive controls on grandfathered mounts such as the one photographed on the Ebay site. In our country. the USFWS also allows for some freedoms between parties for wildlife mounts that were prepared prior to regulation. The process is case by case, and specific documentation must be provided to have that status assigned a specific mount or pelt or specimen either whole on in part.

I should imagine that specific documentation could be arranged for an old specimen mount to be purchased and shipped, but to whom one would apply, and how old one might become waiting for documentation, only the Lord knows. The UK does have a specific authority for control of such sales, but wading through the regulations requires more time and patience than I am willing to spend on the matter.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu