croc head cleaning

Submitted by brian on 12/19/04 at 12:37 AM. ( grumblebumme@yahoo.com.au ) 211.29.36.39

how do i clean a croc head of all meat.and bring it up sparkling white

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Best thing is

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/19/04 at 11:19 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.69

is to bring it someone who knows what they are doing. Reptile skulls including crocs can be tricky. If you are set on doing it yourself go to hidetanning.net and read the skull cleaning article. That should give a pretty good picture on what to do. But again as I stated above, reptile skulls can be pretty tricky and are not as simple as a deerskull. A lot of depends also on how big your croc is.

Like nature does

This response submitted by cur on 12/19/04 at 11:49 AM. ( ) 4.226.240.160

Croc skulls and alligator skulls do have a habit of separting due to flimsy reptilian suturing. Found alligator skulls in local swamps seem to be in pretty good shape, and they are cleaned by natural processes over time.

Bugs (dermestids)don't always get to the fascia between the skin and upper skull parts. Boiling will certainly cause separation if not done carefully.

The best thing to do with a fresh head is to remove all the flesh and tissue possible with scalpel and knives and then soak in water to which a "starter" kit is added to insure maceration. Starter kits are simple to make. You can either use a cup of pond water collected from a shallow area, a handful of garden dirt and a can of beer added to the maceration water. Bacteria will bloom and other micro-invertebrates will assist removal of tissue.

Final cleaning by scrubbing with a stiff brush and Dawn and then degreasing in Dawn or solvent of your choice and then peroxide bleaching will help. I don't recommend addition of any other "whitening" agent other than the peroxide. Finish by setting in sunlight and let nature finish the job.

Now, if you want an easy approach, I hve a young assistant who does gator and croc skulls for $5.00 a dorsal inch.......no tricks, no additionals. If interested contact me.

Don't waste the beer

This response submitted by Evelyn (Superpig) on 12/19/04 at 12:43 PM. ( taxidermyranch at aol dot com ) 152.163.100.70

Cur how dare you suggest to sacrifice good beer for a skull. Can I just stand next to the soaking tub drinking the beer while I watch the maceration process in progress? LOL

Brian, I am doing an alligator skull at the moment with just the same method explained by Cur. It works great but you have to keep a close eye on it. Don't just leave it alone for weeks at a time or you may have to collect the pieces and beging the puzzle.

I also do wholesale skulls. If interested email me.

Beer culture

This response submitted by cur on 12/19/04 at 12:53 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.46

Residual products from the brewing process is excellent food for starting bacteria colonies. I would never pour a cup of my Mcallans or Maker's Mark into that pot, but a beer, is sacrificial merchandise. Beer is never my beverage of choice. I keep some around for making batter for frying fish, adding to some sauces, and starter kits for bacteria........and those folks who drop by from whom I hide my expensive stuff.

I used to could

This response submitted by Evelyn on 12/19/04 at 2:27 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.69

One time I managed to put beer in my maceration tub and Mike caught me. Ever since then I just don't dare using his Lonestar for my macration purposes. I thought he was gonna macerate me. So that was the end of that brew. LOL

Lonestar

This response submitted by cur on 12/19/04 at 2:45 PM. ( ) 4.226.228.141

Lonestar is for mammal skulls. Reptile skull construction is more fragile, and I suggest a lite import like Corona or Sao Miguel for those. Fish seem to prefer Budwiser, but any beer will do. Hence the term, drink like a fish.

Brook trout and rare cutthroats seem to do best in elite beers from micro distilleries, while grayling require a fine imported white wine.

Carp do best when macerated in waste water from sewerage plants.

isn't Lonestar Beer

This response submitted by wetnwild on 12/19/04 at 5:10 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

The same as sewerage water?

If anyone wastes beer for skulls....

This response submitted by Bradlee on 12/20/04 at 10:43 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Just send them all my way ! lol I'll be sure to dispose of them properly ! This post dog gone near made me cry ! lol
Bradlee

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu