Dead turtle

Submitted by amie giacumakis on 4/29/05 at 8:00 PM. ( ) 24.0.244.43

My children found a dead turtle. It smells bad and the entire body is still inside. We would like to keep the shell. How do we get rid of the body? Thanks

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

ant hill

This response submitted by ** on 4/29/05 at 8:37 PM. ( ) 63.105.65.9

bury it in and ant hill and go back next fall and dig it up. it will be clean.

better not

This response submitted by Mr. T on 4/30/05 at 12:18 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.204

Don't dig a hole for the ants, other critters will dig it up and carry it off. Send it out to someone that has beetles that do that kind of work. They can clean it also. You will be pleased.

Can it be boiled?

This response submitted by cartman on 5/1/05 at 12:28 PM. ( ) 66.189.108.231

Im just curious but can a turle shell be boiled just like a skull?

Cartman

Boiling removes the shell plates

This response submitted by Al on 5/8/05 at 11:05 PM. ( herpme@yahoo.com ) 207.144.246.202

If you try to boil it the scales on the shell come off and you end up with raw bone. The only good thing I can say about fire ants is that they do good work on dead things. The dermestid beetles do excellent work but you usually have to pay for it. I have done several animals by placing them on a fire ant mound and covering them with a wire cage to keep the racoons and family pets off. Usually a week is good for small animals but stealing the bones from the pesky ants is tricky. The best thing to do is bring a full bucket of water to the mound and use a shovel to scoop the remains into the bucket. The ants will float to the top, carefully scoop or splash them to the outside, hose off the bucket and you should have a nice muddy pile of bones. Then just rinse everything through a fine mesh screen (old window screen works good) let the bones dry and have fun figuring out what goes where! It can get complicated. If you don't like fire ants, when you are ready to pull the bones out a good dust bait like Amdro (Lowes) will kill or drive the ants away and you can pick the bones out as they lay to get a better idea of where they go. If you just want the shell, once you clean, rinse and dry it a good coat of polyurethane will bring out the shell patterns. Good luck.

What could you create with a turtle shell?

This response submitted by josh on 5/10/05 at 10:56 AM. ( yeello@gmail.com ) 68.40.176.8

Im thinking about possibly turning it into some sort of helmet, but i was wondering if anyone else has ever made something useful or artsy out of their turtle shell?

Box turkey call

This response submitted by Joe T on 5/28/05 at 3:33 AM. ( ) 24.160.231.198

With a box turtle...check nwtf.com

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu