Cleaning out a turtle shell

Submitted by CPointe on 6/15/06 at 10:08 PM. ( ) 66.211.72.31

I found a great painted turtle shell with about 1/2 of the turtle eaten. How do I clean out the rest of the turtle to be able to preserve the shell without any vermin or smell?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

eat the other half

This response submitted by Mr.T on 6/15/06 at 10:28 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.128

Dermisted Beetles can clean that up for you, I don't know if they would eat the shell or not, I am guessing not.

try ants

This response submitted by mike r on 6/15/06 at 11:08 PM. ( ) 71.74.234.83

try ants not sure if it will work but if you dont have access to beetles its worth a try . i was to by some old timers that they used to put cow skulls on ant hills to clean them. mike

cut the shell

This response submitted by D. Herg on 6/21/06 at 10:48 PM. ( ) 71.244.230.253

If you only want the top shell of the turtle, then use a dremel tool to cut the bottom of the shell off. This will give you access to the inside to clean everything out. Make sure you brake the backbone out to remove the meat from around and behind it. Hopefully you have it frozen, becaus turtle shells are made up of plates that have blood running under them. You need to dry this blood up or the plates will slip and come off. You can use preserve it to do this. (I use formaldahide). Soak for a couple of days or longer if you want. If you want to you can re-attach the bottom shell with apoxie sculpt.

turtle shell

This response submitted by joyce stephenson on 6/26/06 at 1:11 PM. ( joyce4kc@hotmail.com ) 69.50.36.23

i found a turtle shell at the lake with no turtle inside guessing it has been gone long time now but i need to know how to preserve the shell with no decay or smell please e-mail me any ideas anyone may have i was thinking maybe a clear varnish would preserve it ? ?

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu