Keeping turtle shell from peeling

Submitted by Nancy on 7/1/06 at 5:05 PM. ( ) 70.153.191.223

Have several shells where the tops are peeling/scaling and am interested in knowing how to perserve the shells to prevent this and also to keep them natural looking.

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu

Turtle shells

This response submitted by D.Herg on 7/4/06 at 10:28 AM. ( threeftaxidermy@aol.com ) 71.244.230.253

are made up of indivadual plates. Blood runs under these plates, so to preserve these plates, you have to get that blood dried out. The man that taught me taxidermy specialized in turtles for 35 years and what he soaked them in was formaldahide. That is what I use, but it is some pretty bad stuff to use. There is a product called preserve it that can be used instead. Soak the shells in it for 3 or 4 days then let dry, (not in the sun). Finish the shell with high gloss polyurathane. As far as fixing the ones you have, all you can do is try to glue the plates back on with super glue or if it's the very top thin top layer peel it off then finish with polyurathane.

correct way to save a snapper turtle shell

This response submitted by mike on 7/9/06 at 9:44 AM. ( mikeandsheryl@charter.net ) 66.227.238.72

While camping my sons and wife found a large 16" snapper turtle eating there fish on there stringer.We decided to catch they turtle to save the shell from our camping trip.I have removed the turtle from its shell and I'm looking for info on how to preserve the shell the correct way. Any help would be greatly appreciated ie: do I have to remove the spine,do I boil the shell?etc. Help,Help, Help, the boys don't want dad to muck this up nor does dad.Thanks

hey D.Herg

This response submitted by Tom W. on 7/12/06 at 10:39 AM. ( ) 63.247.34.77

why is formaldahide bad stuff 2 use

mikeandsheryl

This response submitted by Paris Hilton on 7/31/06 at 10:01 PM. ( ) 64.10.154.156

what the fudge man! ever think of keeping the fudgeen thing alive you bastard! go fudge a horse you fudgeen faget

mikeandsheryl

This response submitted by Paris Hilton on 7/31/06 at 10:02 PM. ( ) 64.10.154.156

what the fudge man! ever think of keeping the fudgeen thing alive you bastard! go fudge a horse you fudgeen faget

Return to Reptile Taxidermy Category Menu