Fleshing machine rust

Submitted by David on 8/3/00. ( ) 206.27.36.50

I can't seem to keep rust from forming on my blade. It has been a while since I used it but I always clean and oil down after use but when Ilook a few days later its back. Afraid the edge will start pitting- is this just normal or is there something that keeps it off better?

Any suggestion will be appreciated!

Return to Category Menu

Rust

This response submitted by George Roof on 8/3/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.14

David,
Either you don't use it often enough or you don't get many bears and beavers. LOL

Seriously, take a stone to your whole blade surface and clean it up. Once you finish, take a block of bees wax and with the blade spinning, cover the entire blade. After you finish using it next time, repeat this on the cutting surface or treat it with a light coat of Vaseline. Many times, this rust and pitting are brought on by the salt impregnating your hides and only by removeing it will the problem be eliminated.

Another suggestion!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 8/6/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

I always keep a Windex bottle filled with a solution of water and Baking soda. After I'm done shaving I spray down the blade and my machine and wipe it off. The Baking Soda neutralizes the pickling acid and helps prevent rust. Also - once a month I give it all a light spray of oil too!

Return to Category Menu