What diameter should a staking machine wheel be? (homemade)

Submitted by George Wasser on 8/6/00. ( wasserg@juno.com ) 63.14.69.196

I am in the process of building a staking machine and am wondering how big and how many rpms the staking wheel should be. My first model has a wheel about 22 inches in diameter. Is this ok or should it be smaller or bigger?

Return to Category Menu

Too many Staking Machines out there!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 8/8/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

George - there a lot of DIFFERENT types of Staking Machines out there in use! It's extremely hard to guess about yours without more specific info. I would need to know the type you're building and what types of skins you intend to use it on! Otherwise - it's impossible for anyone to offer any advice or suggestions. A photo of the type you are copying would be a great help!

Staking machine type?

This response submitted by George Wasser on 8/10/00. ( wasserg@juno.com ) 63.14.69.209

Bruce,

I believe my machine resembles a water wheel and was modeled after one I saw at a tannery in Darby MT and one in Helena, MT. I will use it primarily on deer, elk, bear, and moose flat hides. I finished the frame and will hook up the drive system later. How fast should the wheel turn. (My machine paddles strike a conveyer belt set up). Thanks for your response.

George

Return to Category Menu