hides smelling while in the pickle

Submitted by wayne rollins on 8/31/00. ( sstaxidermy@cs.com ) 152.163.189.131

I am having a problem with some capes stinking while in the pickle. i use saftee-acid and the ph is good. what do i need to do? someone please help? thanks wayne

Return to Category Menu

What kind of smell?

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 8/31/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

A lot depends on the type of smell you are referring to. Obviously it isnt normal for them to smell at all. Saftee acid doesnt even have an odor - so is it possible something was already impregnated into the capes when you recieved tham? I have to assume the Ph is correct (a 1.5-2.0 Ph) and you have 1 Lb. of Salt per gallon of water, and that you have been stirring it everyday - so that would only leave somethin that was already on the skins, or introduced to the pickle. Try to elaborate a bit more on the smell - it would help to identify the odor!

dirty skins?

This response submitted by deer woman on 9/1/00. ( ) 205.188.209.13

Could be your skins were dirty when you placed them in, or maybe greasy, or its an old pickle you are reusing? PH might be too high too, causing some rot, which you do not want!

Stir tanks

This response submitted by Bob on 9/10/00. ( ) 216.126.203.194

I talked to Bruce Rittel a while back about this, along with the smell you also risk slippage. Stir your tanks every day. Mold will begin to grow on the top of a tank during warm weather. We had gotten lazy about stirring every day, since then, we have no problem with odor or slippage.

Return to Category Menu