degreasing bear hides with eliminator

Submitted by bryan on 8/24/00. ( ) 208.32.30.164

I am tanning a bear hide in my pressure tanner. Was wondering if anyone
had used a product called the "ELIMINATOR" for a degreaser. And if so
what were the results.

Return to Category Menu

I have

This response submitted by Kristoph on 8/24/00. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 205.188.208.107

I've done lots of bear in the pressure tanner and have used the Eliminator degreaser with good results. If I'm not mistaken there are two? Eliminator products, one a cleaner/blood eater and one a degreaser. If this is true they both serve well as a degreaser as I only have the original Eliminator. I either received a mailing or read somewhere that there's now an Eliminator specifically for degreasing, it may serve you well to check into it, it may work better than the original. It is great stuff, especially for waterfowl work, stains etc.It's expensive though, which is why I usually use Kemsol products. The best bear/boar degreaser I ever used was "Ron Carters Greasy Pig" although the last tim I tried to order it was on back order..........

Eliminator

This response submitted by George Roof on 8/24/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.7

Bryan,
Eliminator was the best non-flammable degreaser on the market that ran circles around even white gas in overall performance matched against safety. It still is very good, but if you really want a grease buster, Newton Supply (800)888-2467 has a grease buster/blood release product that has the highest pH available for cleaning. It should be diluted no less than 50 and can go as high as 40:1. Do NOT use this product full stength. It can and will take asphalt off your driveway.

Grease is one of those evils that we have to deal with. Grease and blood are protein and the only thing that breaks down protein is alkaline products with high pH's. Alkaline products don't, however, have a conscience. They are also the product that takes hair off for tanned leather work. Of the 3 products mentioned, Greasy Pig is the safest with a pH (and composition) of Mr. Clean kitchen detergent. Eliminator is next with the Newton Supply product on the high end. Dilute your soap and don't leave any hide in any soap over about 20 minutes. Any longer, you endanger the cape to massive hair loss.

Epo-Grip Bloodout/Degreaser

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring on 8/25/00. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.34

A comment about Epo-Grip Bloodout/Degreaser! The Bloodout/Degreaser is made in a concentrate form, and is designed to be used in dilutions of 20-1 to 40 to 1 or even more. The useage concentration will vary depending on the hardness of the water you have, and the amount of soil to be removed. In effect the user controls products aggressiveness and the cost factor by the dilution. Epo-Grip Bloodout/Degreaser is a much safer alternative to solvents, gas, mineral spirits, ect. The product is designed to be agressive to accomplish the job at hand in a reasonable time period if required. The longer the dilution the less aggressive the working solution will be. PH is just an indicator of the degree of acidity or alkalinity of a chemical, it however "does not" give the level of dilution. For example, you can have a very strong acid in a 1% concentration and it will give a PH reading of 1, or you can have a 99% concentration the reading will still be 1. In order to clean animal fats effectively using an alkaline based solution works best. Cleaning petroleum grease or soils a petroleum based cleaner or solvent is the prefered cleaner. Removing rust or lime scale an acid based chemical cleaner works best (ie. Limeaway)for that purpose. I hope this helps to understand basic cleaning more.

Return to Category Menu