confused on EZ-100 again

Submitted by Alan on 9/12/00. ( ABBarrail@aol.com ) 205.188.209.203

I had a weird experience in the past with EZ-100 (previous post)but got through that one O.K. Now It's done it to me again, I recently tanned two Pronghorn capes but after mixing up the EZ-100 it turned a redish-purple color a couple of hours later. Everything tanned properly (I think) and both mounts turned out great none of the purple hide showed but does anyone know what happened?
Thanks in advance, Alan

Return to Category Menu

purple hide

This response submitted by Terry on 9/12/00. ( katydidone@earthlink.net ) 64.209.134.133

I'm not an expert like Bruce but I think this could be caused by additives in the salt such as iodine.I don't think it will hurt your mounts.

Sounds like some metal was in it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 9/12/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

It sounds like some metal had gotten into your solution somehow! When it does, usually depending on the amount, it reacts with the EZ-100 and the color can go from a slight pinkish to red to red-purple to deep purple and even black if there is a lot of it! Were you grinding nearby or could some metallic chips have fallen into your tan? I've had it happen too - but only because I had been grinding nearby.

Maybe you should check your water

This response submitted by Tom K on 9/12/00. ( dianne98@alltel.net ) 166.102.54.29

Maybe you should test your water for Iron or Lead concentrate ........especialy if you drink the water

PURPLE HIDE

This response submitted by GEOFFORY ANDERSON on 9/12/00. ( KKANDERS@SILVERSTAR.COM ) 12.23.67.6

Alan, Bruce is correct about the purple color. I've had a fair amount
of experience with skins turning purple. This has only happened when
using EZ-100 and Knoblocks synthetic tanning agents. Unknown to me
some of the paint had come off the inside or my pressurized tanners.
I covered the tanks with paint and fiberglass and have had no more
problem.

PURPLE HIDE

This response submitted by GEOFFORY ANDERSON on 9/12/00. ( KKANDERS@SILVERSTAR.COM ) 12.23.67.6

Alan, Bruce is correct about the purple color. I've had a fair amount
of experience with skins turning purple. This has only happened when
using EZ-100 and Knoblocks synthetic tanning agents. Unknown to me
some of the paint had come off the inside or my pressurized tanners.
I covered the tanks with paint and fiberglass and have had no more
problem.

Soakz-it # 553 may help.

This response submitted by Ret Soor on 9/13/00. ( retsoornj@hotmail.com ) 204.186.214.242

Many tanning agents, especially the types that mimic vegitable tannins, are prone to reactions with metal ions in solution. You may not see any distortion in the water, but the water soluble metal ions will react with the tan, producing something akin to a dye.

A good product to give you insurance and let you sleep at night is a very effective soaking agent called SOAKZ-IT # 553TC2. A very small amount in your tan solution will not only help the tan penetrate the pelt, it will also keep most metal ions in solution, therby slowing down the "dye" development.
This product can be used in small amounts, in most wet solution systems, especially in the soak, where it does wonders in providing a nice clean, well hydrated pelt. It should be available at your suppliers and is produced by SENTRY/Custom Services. Their 800 # is 868-1454. If you need more info.,send E-Mail. Good luck.

Return to Category Menu