Question for Bruce Rittel

Submitted by MarkV. on 9/12/00. ( fishspec30@centurytel.net ) 207.230.196.136

Bruce, I am helping a friend mount a red hartebeast that has been tanned for several years and it has no stretch to it and has become rubbery. Was wondering if there is anything we could soak it in to maybe give it a little more stretch? He has shave the form down some but is still having difficulty getting wrinkles out of it. I know its probably a lost cause but if there is anything we could do I'm open to your opinion? We asked a couple others what to do but what they came up with was to soak in salt water and dawn dish detergent or ivory snow and don't think this would help much. Thankyou ahead of time, MarkV.

Return to Category Menu

Sounds like some metal was in it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 9/12/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

It sounds like some metal had gotten into your solution somehow! When it does, usually depending on the amount, it reacts with the EZ-100 and the color can go from a slight pinkish to red to red-purple to deep purple and even black if there is a lot of it! Were you grinding nearby or could some metallic chips have fallen into your tan? I've had it happen too - but only because I had been grinding nearby.

Sometimes we goof!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 9/12/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Sorry Mark - that answer was way off base and intended for another question! My mistake!

Your question however, is a tough one! That red Hartebeast may just be one of those typical "boiled" capes that the tanner was just grateful to get it through the tanning process intact! They are usually tanned - but lifeless, and hardly any stretch. Can it be rewet at all? If not, then our Rittels US-609 relaxing product may help, but once wet you may have to put it on a beam and work it with a fleshing knife. It wont be easy! Also once wet, you may be able to shave some of those problem areas - or at least touch them up so they "give" a bit more! That US-609 is a "Water Wetting" product, so it penetrates extremely well - but then, nothing can be 100%!

Return to Category Menu