When fleshing do you have a sharp or dull Knife?

Submitted by Leon on 10/10/00. ( mith124@hotmail.com ) 141.233.146.52

Hello
I was wondering, I bought this fleshing knife, which is quite dull, I was wondering if this is the way is supposed to be or should I get it sharp, I will be fleshing mostly deer hides, and some small mammals.

thank you for your input

Leon

Return to Category Menu

Knife

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/10/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.167

Leon,
It sounds about right. A fleshing knife really isn't supposed to cut the flesh off as much as it SCRAPES the meat off on your fleshing beam.

Fleshing knives

This response submitted by Matt on 10/11/00. ( matt@braintan.com ) 208.26.131.214

For some hides folks prefer sharp knives, but for deer hides you want it dull. (I tan deer hides for a living and am the host of <a href="http://www.braintan.com"> Braintan.com </a> You don't want any chance of cutting the hide and its pretty simple to snow-plow the flesh off with the fleshing tool. Really the purpose of the fleshing tool is to have enough of an edge to grab the flesh, but not sharp enough to cut. You want it so dull that when you look straight at the edge, you can see it. So dull that you couldn't possible cut yourself. But no duller than that or it won't grab the meat very well. Those are the parameters...

Return to Category Menu