Is the mini-flesher a good tool

Submitted by chris on 10/25/00. ( ) 63.160.152.52

I was thinking of buying a mini-flesher,and was wondering if itwas a good tool for fleshing the entire hide?Is it messy,is it noisy,but most of all does it do a good job?Also is it good around the facial area?I do about 10 whitetail deer heads a year.Im going to do a whole deer this year,an albino buck,would the mini- flesher get the job done?

Return to Category Menu

They are OK

This response submitted by Bucknut on 10/25/00. ( ) 204.73.44.125

I have one. I retired it when I bought a real fleshing machine. The mini flesher takes a while to get used to.
My taxidermy shop is in the basement, and the compresser kicks in all the time and it is real loud.
My fleshing machine just hums along. My experience with the mini-flesher is that it is messy, lots of gunk
flying around. If you aren't careful, the blade wants to grab the hide and quicker than you can say %4#@@!,
you have a hole. I know some guys that like them for doing detail work on the face, but personally, after
my experience doing the rest of the cape, I was afraid to try it on the face area. If you are doing 10 heads
a year, I would think it would be a wise choice to buy a fleshing machine.

It will

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 10/26/00. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.165.244.144

Before I got the Eager Beaver I did up to 30 capes a year with the mini flesher. I have numerous life size with it and no holes. But as Bucknut stated it will do as he says.
You need to learn how to adjust the blade guard for detail work. Pratice first before you do any detail work, learn on how the tool works. Just like with any machine it will do the work you ask it to do but if you make a mistake you will pay for it.

I LIKE MY MINI-FLESHER

This response submitted by DON on 10/30/00. ( ) 205.188.208.233

I BOUGHT A MINI FLESHER CUZ I JUST COULDNT AFFORD THE PRICE OF A FLESHING MACHINE. IT'S BEEN DOING A GOOD JOB ONCE I LEARNED TO ADJUST AND USE IT. IF YOU GET ONE PRACTICE ON AN OLD HIDE. IF U CAN AFFORD A SLESHING MACHINE, BY ALL MEANS GET ONE. IT'S TRUE, IT DOES THROW BITS OF FLESH AROUND AND THE COMPRESSOR IS NOISY,BUT I USE MINE ALL THE TIME ON ALL PARTS OF THE CAPE AND HAVEN'T HAD TO SEW ANY HOLES IN A LONG TIME! GOOD LUCK,

DON

Return to Category Menu