Hide storage until tanning

Submitted by RickV on 10/18/00. ( rickv20@hotmail.com ) 24.162.128.222

I have a hide (rabbit) that has been fleshed and salted and I plan on tanning it. I would like to wait to tan it until I have some other hides that I can tan at the same time. My question is what would be the best method for storing the hide until ready to tan. I know it shouldn't be frozen since its already been salted but not sure what to do with it or if I should do anything else to it to prepare for storage. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

you should let it dry hard, keep it in a dry place

This response submitted by leon on 10/18/00. ( mith124@hotmail.com ) 141.233.146.52

if the hides are already salted then you should let it dry hard, make sure you keep them in a dry place as a humid (speling!)place will be bring moisture to the hide. if they are not salted then you can frezed then in double bags
Leon

Grocery store paper bags

This response submitted by Dan R on 10/21/00. ( deerstuffer@hotmail.com ) 209.149.175.130

I just put them in paper bags and leave the bags open and set them inside the house. In a room that is used very little. That way they in a contoled environment. I have a very understanding wife!

Return to Category Menu