Rhinehart's cream tan

Submitted by Scott on 11/16/00. ( themoores@landmarknet.net ) 63.75.120.138

I've used Rhineharts cream tan on my first deer and it worked very well, no slippage. I liked the product because it seemed very easy to use. When I read a lot of the other questions about other tanning methods, it seems like there are a lot more steps than I had to do. My questions are: Can anyone tell me what method this product is or similar to (Liqua tan, EZ-100, Lutan, alum, etc.)? Secondly, Is this product sufficient for other hides- coyote, boar, moose, bear? Any comments or complaints? Thanks in advance, Scott.

Return to Category Menu

JRTS

This response submitted by George Roof on 11/16/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.105

Scott,
JRTS isn't similar to any of the other products you mentioned. I guess it closely relates to the "cream tans", but it's not the same. The pH on JRTS (2.5 -3.0) fits right into the range of most tanning solutions. What it does is avoids the pickle step as well as the oiling step to soften the hide. From experience, it is made for FRESH hides that have been double salted. IF there's a chance of improper or sloppy field care, you need to pickle the hide. It works really well on the deer species (including elk, moose, and domestic cattle) and is super on boars, but as for the bears, I send them out because of their additional problems of grease and smell. I've done a newborn fawn with it with no problems, but since I use DP for tree rats and the like, I can't address them.

Rinehart cream tan

This response submitted by Alan on 11/16/00. ( asmith@comsys.net ) 216.136.11.167

I have used the Rinehart cream tan on squirrels, coons, coyotes, deer, bear you name it with excellent results. I personally prefer to salt for 24 hours, shake out then resalt and flint dry. Then rehydrate the skin. Drain well then apply the tanning cream let stand overnight. Then wash out the hide,drain and mount. I have had problems with the 3 day salt method that is described in the directions. I have had the hair slip on more than one cape using this method ( this probably was caused by poor handling before I recieved the capes) therefore I recommend salting until flint dry or pickling before appling the cream tan. This is still a lot easier than the other tans on the market. I personaly would not use this tan for rug work although i know of others who do. I hope this helps.

Sorry George

This response submitted by Mark C on 11/16/00. ( srceight@novagate.com ) 205.138.136.171

Don't mean to disrepectful George, but I think you're wrong about Rinehart's tanning cream. I went to school at Rinehart's and salting, pickling and shaving were all part of the process and guess which tanning cream we used. I'm not sure if you could skip those step's with their cream, but I certainly wouldn't.
Mark C

yucko

This response submitted by Yoxo on 11/17/00. ( ) 205.188.209.48

Dont you people degrease hogs, coyotes, coons and bears? Yucko!

Mark

This response submitted by George on 11/17/00. ( ) 205.188.208.105

LOL. I couldn't afford the school, just read the directions they supplied with the 4 gallons I bought. They offer pickle as an alternative step.

Return to Category Menu