tanning a coyote for rug

Submitted by striperg421 on 11/20/00. ( ) 205.188.209.40

I have a coyote that I have fleshed and salted. What is the best way to tan the hide where it will be soft and pliable. I have some pickling crystals and lutan f.

Return to Category Menu

Instructions

This response submitted by mark on 11/21/00. ( Knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.86.2.60

We do have the instructions that you want to do this
if you want to email me your address I will be glad to send
the directions to follow.

Mark
Knoblochs.com

303-666-9045

Tanning your coyate

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Taxidermy Supply Co. on 11/21/00. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 208.141.229.5

Striper,

You chose an excelent tan for your project!

If you've already completed the salting process, go to your pickling process.With pickling crystals, you'll need 3 oz. of Crystals per 1 gal of water with 1 lb. of non-iodined salt per 1 gal of water.
Be sure that the crystals and the salt has been completely disolved. your PH. should be set between 1-1.5
Allow your hide to soak in the pickle foe 48 hours.
Procede with your fleshinh work. when this is complete.....neutrilize in 5 gallons of water with 5 oz. of Baking soda, and allow to soak for 20-30 min. Rinse in fresh water.

Now you can procede with your tanning.When you've finished the Lutan-F process, procede with your oiling and allow to dry for a few days.
Once dried, re-apply yor oils to the skin side and allow to soak in for at least 1/2 a day. you may either tumble it now, or with the skin side down, work it over the edge of a table or saw horse etc.
The more you work it, the more plyable it will be.
Repeat this process at least 3 times!

Follow these procedures, and I promise ya, that you'll get a nice, soft and plyable skin.

If you need any more help, feel free to give me a call at (1-800) 843-3320 or contact me at my e-mail address above.

Good luck to ya.....Dave

Return to Category Menu