raising ph

Submitted by fred on 11/25/00. ( ) 24.216.221.77

ok my capes are salted and stiff as a board . i have the safty acid pickle ready to go . i understand the ph will rise after i drop in the capes in .... lets say the ph goes up to 3 how much more acid should i use to bring it back down to a good range ? a teaspoon , tablespoon , an ounce any help is appreciated fred

Return to Category Menu

depends

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 11/25/00. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.166.17.160

Depends on how many capes, water, etc. Start off at an ounce stir and retest till you get the PH you need. It's normal pratice to do this.

There is not a set measure of acid for pH.

This response submitted by John C on 11/25/00. ( ) 208.44.115.35

We must have missed getting the messege across. Always add your acid by dribbling it down the side of your plastic tub, so you dont plash it.

To adjust the pH, test the acid bath first, and a small amount of your favorite acid stir well let sit for 5 minutes, test again, add more if needed and repeat testing until you reach the 1.5-2.0 range.

I like formic acid or acetic acid. I have used pure sulphuric acid also (not electrolyte for batteries) never have I had any problems. I hear lots of good things about SAFTEY ACID.

I hear a lot of bad things about CITRIC ACID plus Citric is in all your lemon flavored foods, it is edible.

WASCOS' acid crystal work very well, and it is very strong.

JUST USE CAUTION WITH ALL ACIDS and you will do fine. JOhn C

Return to Category Menu