To Dave and Headhanger Lutan F ?

Submitted by S. Poirier on 12/1/00. ( ) 165.189.41.11

First of all I want to thank you for the info. You really help and set my mind at ease. Yes I did neutralized befor I taned the hide. I did not put the lutann f in the pickle. I have pro- plus oil what does the oil do? I used backing soda to neutralize but how much should I use to be sure it does the job in neutralizing the hide?Do I use my flishing machine to flish between tne pickle and the tan because I use a scalpel to do the first flishing when the cape is in the raw. Thanks again for your help

Return to Category Menu

Lutan-F

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Taxidermy Co. on 12/1/00. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 208.141.229.5

Hello there again Headhunter,

To answer your questions:
To neutrolize your pickling solution in your hide, Fill a 5 gal. bucket with cold water. add some bactericide and 5 oz. of baking soda and add to the water. Makie sure that you totally desolve the baking soda in the water. Add the cape to the water and slosh the cape around real good. Allow the cape to soak in this solution for 20 - 30 min, agitating it every once in a while.
Remove from the solution and give it a good rinsing in cold water and drip dry for 1/2 hour or so, and apply your Pro-Plus oil to the skin side.
The Pro-Plus oil is put into the hide for many reasons, and I'll tell you a few. It will prevennt dry rot, it'll make you cape or hide much more plyable and will replace the protiens that you took out of it during the pickling and fleshing process. Thats just to name a few.

You want to do your primary fleshing during the pickling process.
The only fleshing that you would realy want to do in the green state of the cape (b-4 your pickling) would be to remove all the fat and any large clumps of flesh, split the lips, eyes, nose and turn the ears inside out, to prepare for the salting. I would recomend that you salt down the cape or hide no less than 2 times as this will help set the hair and make the skin thirstey for the pickle.

Do you have a e-mail address? If so you might want to e-mail me directly at my e-mailaddress as I'm not always available to check out this web site. Mine is listed above, so feel free to use it to contact me. You can also call me at (1-800) 843-3320 ext.105

Have a great Day....Dave

Right On

This response submitted by Headhanger on 12/1/00. ( headhanger@yahoo.com ) 208.234.65.172

Poirier,

Dave said it all. Good luck.

Headhanger

Return to Category Menu