bruce rittle,ph level

Submitted by jsmith on 12/5/00. ( jjsmith@localnet.com ) 207.251.196.75

Bruce,should i be checking a ph level when rehydrating? Im using 2LBs of salt per 1 gallon of water.

Return to Category Menu

I'm not Bruce, but....

This response submitted by Damon on 12/5/00. ( GEngel039@aol.com ) 205.188.208.39

I've rehydrated enough critters. When rehydrating, I use a salt water (brine) bath, with about 1lb salt per gallon of ordinary tap water. That may be overkill on the salt, but its cheap enough and I haven't had any problems. Soak until rehydrated, soft and pliable.
If you are refering to capes that have already been tanned, I don't believe the pH needs to be watched then, either. Mostly you mist the hide down and "sweat" it in a sealed plastic bag overnight, in the fridge.
I always oil the cape, allow it to soak in, then roll up and freeze any hides I am not mounting immedietely.
good luck to you!

sorry

This response submitted by jsmith on 12/5/00. ( ) 207.138.150.120

I should of been more specific,im talking about after cape has dried rock hard,and before pickling.It seems critical to watch ph level when cape is in pickle,i was just wondering why it wouldn't be critical during rehydration process? Thanks .

Rehydrating!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 12/6/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Normally little attention is paid to the Ph of the rehydrating solution. It can be checked if you like - but really it's only salt and water, or perhaps a commercial relaxer, and all of them are in the neutral to slightly above neutral range, with some variance depending on the ph of your local water supply. I might caution you however, not to add Lysol to it though! It has a high Ph and is not helpful in the rehydration process - if anything its too high, and may cause loose hair.

THANKS BRUCE

This response submitted by J SMITH on 12/6/00. ( ) 207.251.196.107

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THE FORUM AND I CAN SEE IT WILL BRE VERY HELPFUL. THANKS AGAIN.

Return to Category Menu