Tanning a squirrel tail

Submitted by Adam Keiper on 1/3/00. ( keipera@aol.com ) 152.163.189.132

Hello all. I have a few freshly deboned squirrel tails that I want to make into string silencers for my longbow by slipping the hollowed out tail down over my bowstring then tying both ends off. I know nothing about taxidermy and want to know if there are any home tanning methods I can use to tan the tails so they don't rot, harden and crack, or have the fur fall out. I've heard that Borax can be used for tanning. Is this true, or are there any other household supplies that can be used to tan? Obviously, I'm not shooting for the highest quality of tanning, just something that will get me by. Thanks.

Return to Category Menu

Tanning a squirrel tail

This response submitted by Larry on 1/4/00. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

I think all you would have to do is soak the deboned tail in denatured alcohol (shellac thinner) for a few days or until the skin turns white all the way through. Try it with one tail and see if it meets your needs. If the skin needs softening, work it between your hands, and perhaps add a little tanning oil or saddle soap. If you don't already have some, you should be able to find the alcohol in a paint or hardware store. Even though you're not a taxidermist, you may still be interested in our catalog. We carry a number of items you may be interested in such as reference books and videos, and a number of products which can be used for crafts, repairs, and other hobbies and pursuits. If you'd like a copy, visit our web site (guest book) at www.hidebeak.com, or call us at 1-800-777-7916, and ask for one. Happy Hunting!

Return to Category Menu