Here's a plea!!!!!

Submitted by Tony on 1/4/00. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.211.22

I am searching for a place to get sawdust for my tumbler. Bruce Rittel sent me a sheet with some suppliers listed, but the ones I could get in contact with only dealt in bulk, like one ton pallets. Needless to say this is overkill for me. I am in Mississippi and I am at a loss as to what to do for sawdust or where to find it. If someone out there can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have found it in Van Dykes catalog, but it is going to cost almost twice as much to have it shipped as the sawdust cost alone. This may be my only alternative, though. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I also called WASCO and asked the sales lady if I could talk to someone who may be able to point me in some direction because I am sure they use tumblers there, but she asked me if I had any other numbers I could call. Well, if I had not explored all my other options, I would not be calling there looking for help! I know they don't carry it there, but I thought they could atleast point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to Category Menu

SAW MILL ,PALLET CO.?

This response submitted by B.S.RHEA on 1/4/00. ( ) 209.192.107.169

Tony I live in MS to,I get most of my saw dust from a local saw mill or pallet co. for free!Do you have a saw mill or pallet co or cabinet shop close.Bet you do ,most of these places would be glad to give you some.Any hardwood dust will work fine.

Here's a plea!!!!

This response submitted by Larry on 1/4/00. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

Tony:
I just happened to talk to "old Fart" (one to another). If you've been keeping up with the forum, he's the one who refuses to lower his deer head prices to $400. Anyway, I caught him just as he was leaving to catch a plane for a vaction in Bermuda. He suggested you contact a butcher shop or smokehouse in your area. These businesses generally use hardwood sawdust, and should be able to provide you with the name(s) of a source(s) near you.. Also, you might search the internet. I haven't done it, but it's certainly worth a shot. Both of us old farts hope this helps. Let us know if it does. If you'd like a copy of my catalog, visit our web site at www.hidebeak.com (guest book), or call us at 1-800-777-7916, and ask for one.

B.S. Rhea, I thought......

This response submitted by Tony on 1/4/00. ( ) 216.229.212.170

It had to be dried sawdust. We do have a couple of mills here in town where I could get some, but I thought it had to be a special kind. Guess that shows how smart I am, huh!

Thanks,
Tony

Hardwood

This response submitted by ducky on 1/4/00. ( Critterstaxiderm@alltel.net ) 166.102.213.27

Tony,
It should be HARDWOOD saw dust, none with turpentine(pine,) also check cabinet shops as a source . Also Al Holmes supply co. is in Wetupka,AL. which shouldn't be that bad on shipping. Tony cut WASCO some slack too, probably just caught them during the hoilday blues, they have always been very helpful when I question them and I would say to not hold this one time against them.
Ducky

Hardwood

This response submitted by ducky on 1/4/00. ( Critterstaxiderm@alltel.net ) 166.102.213.27

Tony,
It should be HARDWOOD saw dust, none with turpentine(pine,) also check cabinet shops as a source . Also Al Holmes supply co. is in Wetupka,AL. which shouldn't be that bad on shipping. Tony cut WASCO some slack too, probably just caught them during the hoilday blues, they have always been very helpful when I question them and I would say to not hold this one time against them.
Ducky

Corncob Grit Works Too

This response submitted by Gary Kies, K & K Tannery on 1/4/00. ( gdkies@dmci.net ) 209.69.228.215

We experienced the same problem getting sawdust. In the tannery business you can't use just any sawdust. We have bought from several sources and we were never happy with quality or price. Usually shipping ate up the profits. We meanwhile discovered that corncob grit works really well and it is available at a small fraction of the price of sawdust plus it is not nearly as dusty.

We buy it at a farm supply store, but it is processed in Maumee, Ohio at a business called The Andersons (800-247-1492). There are several grades. We use the fine for fur and a bit coarser grade for hides and capes. We are not sure about availability in your area, but would strongly suggest that you do some research and give corncob grit called grit-o-cob a try.

If you want to talk with us you can call 517-523-3196 or e-mail us. Hope this helps!!! Have a good day.

John Rhinehart Taxidermy supply

This response submitted by Todd B on 1/4/00. ( trigger@indy.net ) 209.183.87.9

Rineharts sells sawdust. I believe it is in 50lb bags. I bought some
one time. He also sends instructions on turning a clothes dryer into
a tumbler with purchase of sawdust.(If you want them) Also make sure
it is clean sawdust(Rineharts is).

Todd B

I'm With Trigger

This response submitted by George Roof on 1/4/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.102

Ducky and Gary hit it right on the head. Try tumbling a snow goose in some of the homegrown, sawmill saw dust and find out that they had some pitch pine and red cedar(just a few boards) and see what it looks like. I buy all my sawdust from John Rinehart and I mix it about 10:1 with puffed borax from WASCO.

I know corncobs work, but using them brings back bad memories of times B.C. (before Charmin). I'll stick to squarecut, hardwood sawdust.

Sawdust

This response submitted by Mike on 1/4/00. ( ) 209.32.52.208

Tony VanDykes in South Dakota sells sawdust and corncob grit in small and large bags. there # is 1-800-843-3320. Mike

We carry Sawdust

This response submitted by Mark on 1/4/00. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.90.87

Maybe we can help you we sell a Hardwood Maple sawdust which is what you want for what your doing. Saw dust will be a little more versital and more cost effective than corn cobb. Our bags will be 50lbs for
$18.00. This is the finest in the fur dressing industry. They are right, you need a hardwood and stay away from pine and oak.
Mark
Knoblochs
303-666-9045

Mark, Oak is a hard wood.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 1/6/00. ( ) 204.180.103.8

Hum why do you say stay away from oak?

Most people seem to want oak or hichory handle for hand tools. Reality is that most Tool handles are made from HACKBERRY.

I live in the Ozarks with the native forest around here, Red Oak, White Oak, and Black Jack Oak, Hackberry, Hickory, Maples all are hard woods, losing the leaves everyfall.

These are not the resin impregnatied LIVE OAK of Texas and the Southwest. I have used OAK SAWDUST for many years without any problems!}}Tony loook for a local mill, i.e. Flexsteel or another furniture plant that used hard woods for frames. They are always working to get rid of the KILN DRIED sawdust. Good luck John C

Local woodworkers??

This response submitted by MQT on 1/6/00. ( mmtax31@aol.com ) 152.163.189.135

Tony,
Sawmills are a good start....but I would focus on cabinet shop or local woodworking hobbiest. You might try running an ad in the local paper for woodworking hobbiest that need to get rid of saw dust. Most of them have bags of sawdust and most of them work with hardwoods (esp. oaks). I would be glad to give you all the oak saw dust you could carry in a truck if you ever make it over to AR.

Sawdust

This response submitted by Scott on 1/6/00. ( jsconway1@aol.com ) 205.188.208.6

Father owns a cabinet/moulding shop with PLENTY of sawdust available.
We are located in Mississippi about 20 miles east of Hattiesburg.

Scott

Sawdust in 50lb. bags

This response submitted by Doc on 1/9/00. ( ) 209.143.18.32

Buckeye Mannikins sells sawdust in 50lb bags. Check our catalogs for prices or call us.

sawdust

This response submitted by susan mcBride on 9/28/01. ( Wamperdoodle@aol.com ) 64.12.96.168

Hi my name is susan mcBride.I live on a horse farm in Navarre ohio. It is a boarding stable. I need to know where I can get dry sawdust close to Canton ohio. Please let me know.My e-mail address is
Wamperdoodle@aol.com
From Susan

Return to Category Menu