is ther a difference fine salt or course salt

Submitted by mike on 1/6/00. ( ) 205.188.208.233

i always used fine pickling salt that i bought at th e grocery store.then i went to the feed store and got some salt .{it didnt say it was course but it was}.to me it just didnt seem to do pull the mositure out at fast .

Return to Category Menu

Salt

This response submitted by Mark on 1/7/00. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.72.160

The reason for not seeing the moisture come out as fast is that the finer the salt the faster it will absorb. But if you work the salt in on the hide it should still work pretty fast. I beleive pickling salt is the same as table? Mark

I prefer the finer salt.

This response submitted by Steve A. on 1/7/00. ( ) 216.220.10.64

I know what you mean. There is a difference in Hay and Feed salt. I've
used some that is very fine, similiar to table salt, while the batch I
bought recently seems much courser. They will probably both work as long
as you salt and resalt and work it in thoroughly.

Finer VS Course Salt

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring on 1/7/00. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.54

The reason the finer salt works faster is that it has more "surface area" exposed on the hide by being ground finer.

Disolving it is the answer!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/8/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

There is a wide variety of Salt available. However - some do not disolve easily. Take Kosher Salt as an example. Its Salt - but for using it on a hide its doesnt disolve easily, so I would avoid it. Rock Salt contains too many impurities, but the pickling, feed mixing salts and grocery store salts tend to be pure and of the finer grain, which easily disolves and is ideal for salting skins!

Return to Category Menu