is a tan a tan?

Submitted by Mark P on 1/7/00. ( ) 63.26.244.8

Whats the difference between a garment tan. In the past ( not for taxidermy purposes ) I have sent furs to a tannery to be tanned and that same tannery only does garment tanning. Is the difference in the chemical/breaking process, or is it the way the hide is handled around the eyes,lips and nose? Is the lutan F tan going to give me the same type of leather? What is the best alternative to tumbling a hide(for someone who doesn't have a tumbler).

Thanks
Mark

Return to Category Menu

oops

This response submitted by mark on 1/7/00. ( ) 63.23.203.10

question should have been......whats the difference between a garment tan and a taxidermy tan (fur dressing)?

Lutan-F

This response submitted by Steve A. on 1/7/00. ( ) 216.220.10.64

I think Lutan-F is classified by many as a garment tan, but at the same
time I know for a fact that this tan will wash out of the leather if it
gets wet for a long period of time. I went on a mountain goat hunt a while
back and wore a beaver hat and mittens that were tanned with Lutan. The
weather was cold and wet. After a few days of drying these items out next
to a fire they were becoming quite stiff and shrunken looking. But up
until that point they worked super. If you have ever hunted Mountain
goat in November you can relate to this.

Garment Tanning & Taxidermy Tanning!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/8/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Actually Steve explained it very well. Fur coats are not intended to be worn in the rain! Snow can be brushed off - but a soaking rain can ruin such a coat. Obviously the tan of choice for fur coats and garments has usually been Alum. It cant withstand prolonged soaking without washing out the tan. And it tends to cause shrinkage on the finished tanned skins. On the other hand, for Taxidermy tanning - Taxidermists prefer tans that tan true to the original size, like Lutan F and EZ-100. They also like an indefinate shelf life. Unfortunately, Alum skins have a limited shelf life - even with the best of care they usually only hold up for 9 - 14 years before becoming brittle and easily torn like a piece of paper. Most fur coats and hats also ALWAYS have a lining. This is because prespiration will leach out the Alum and irritate the user.

Return to Category Menu