Need help with dry preservitive method "PLEASE"

Submitted by John on 1/7/00. ( shaz0007@aol.com ) 205.188.208.75

I just received a bobcat mounting kit from WASCO, with the DP method, I received skin prep,DP, and fluffed borax.What do I do first and for how long of a time for each product used, as you may have guessed this is my first time to do this.
Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Return to Category Menu

DP Bobcat

This response submitted by George Roof on 1/7/00. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.72

John,
You've served up too big an order I'm afraid. If this is your first time at any taxidermy work, you also took a very large bite. Not know any more that what you've written, I'd strongly suggest that you get a video from WASCO on mounting small animals and see how it's done before you start. A picture will be 10 times more valuable than all we could ever tell you here.

Kits

This response submitted by Art on 1/8/00. ( hursey1@sota-oh.com ) 216.28.80.26

Usually, the puffed borax is used to soak up fluids during the skinning procedure.
The skin prep is for washing the hide after skinning and primary fleshing. The DP is to be rubbed into
the hide after skinning and washing. George is right...the best companion for a WASCO Kit is a WASCO Video.
Watch the tape several times and you'll not forget the steps. If that's not possible, email me and I will try to help you through the steps.
I have never done a bobcat, but a critter is a critter I guess. You should also have some reference material handy.
There's nothing worse than finishing up a mount and realizing that you don't really know what the eyes look like, or
exactly where the ears go. Good Luck

First of all....

This response submitted by Todd B on 1/8/00. ( trigger@indy.net ) 209.183.93.52

I suggest you throw the dry preservative away and get used to a good
tanning system. Complete with dry salting,pickling,shaving tanning
and oiling. Or I do not think you will be totally happy with the results
of your effort. That is just my opinion. And you know what they say
about opinions!

Todd B

Just an intro...

This response submitted by Bill on 1/8/00. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 152.163.188.68

Starter kits are very entry-level, to say the least. They are meant as an introduction to taxidermy, not a complete procedure. DP is considered easier for someone just getting thier feet wet, so to speak. These guys are right, though. So you dont think we are kidding you, what were you going to degrease it with? Yep, cats need to be degreased, whether you can see the fat, oil, or grease, or not. Enjoy yourself, and good luck, I hope it looks great to you when its done!

THANKS

This response submitted by John on 1/9/00. ( shaz0007@aol.com ) 205.188.208.38

Thanks for all of the advice, I am going to use ez-100 to tan instead of dp.

Return to Category Menu