conflicting info on rehydrating tanned cape+local tannery

Submitted by Tony Dingess on 1/13/00. ( superdar@intelos.net ) 216.12.123.26

So I have this cape that has been tanned with Lutan F, oiled and soaked for 30 minutes in salt solution (one set of directions claim that this is the max you should soak, another claims 12 hours), plus I have thinned it a little, but it has not been shaved less than 3/16" seeing that I don't own one of those fancy spacecraft shaving implements that cost more than my car. The problem is it just isn't fitting the form now. I have about a 20" incision down the back (whitetail shoulder mount) and I cannot pull it together. I know the measurements were correct, so should I try the overnight soak, or shaving it thinner with my crude implements? Also anyone that knows a top quality commercial tannery near southern WV, I would appreciate an address or phone number.

Thanks, Tony
www.angelfire.com/wv/traplines

Return to Category Menu

Sweat It

This response submitted by Critter on 1/13/00. ( CRTTRS99@PALACENET.net ) 207.112.212.109

Tony what they are telling you is that you should soak up the hide for 30 minutes and the sweat it in the refrigerator for 12 hours, min.
This will further rehydrate the hide. Place it in a plastic bag, seal it up and leave it in the fridge overnite.
As far as the shaving, not sure what type of CRUDE instrument you have but to properly do the job you need the proper equipment. Part of your problem is no doubt that the tannery did not thin down the hide, that's where the fleshing machine comes in. You gotta pay the price to do the proper job, just a part of the trade.
Good luck.

Try East Coast Tannery

This response submitted by Eric on 1/13/00. ( ) 209.122.217.144

Give us a call 877-TAN-FURS. We are located one hour north of Philadelphia. We have many clients from West Virginia and would be pleased to add you to our list of satisfied customers. Thanks, Eric.

Southern Michigan

This response submitted by Gary Kies, K & K Tannery on 1/14/00. ( gdkies@dmci.net ) 209.69.228.191

We are located in southern Michigan and would welcome the opportunity to work with you. If you are interested e-mail us your address and we will send you our brochure. Our turn around time is 30-45 days and we take great pride in our work.

Tanning Deer Capes

This response submitted by Wayne Smith on 1/29/00. ( hbtaxidermy@etinternet.net ) 206.74.61.166

Steve,
I will be happy to serve in all your tanning needs in the
future.All capes shaved thin and evenly,tanned and dried.All
you will have to do is rehydrate and mount.If interested
contact me at hbtaxidermy@etinternet.net
Thanks,
Wayne

Name Correction

This response submitted by Wayne Smith on 1/29/00. ( hbtaxidermy@etinternet.net ) 206.74.61.166

Tony,
Sorry about calling you STEVE! I sincerely apoligize!
Thanks Again,
Wayne Smith

Return to Category Menu