Tanning and PH, and schrinkage

Submitted by Ron Ream on 1/10/00. ( rream@usd.edu ) 164.154.63.196

When tanning a deer cape what is the best PH level? What is the best way to reduce shrinkage? Does PH affect schrinkage or is it just the salt? What is a normal schrinkage (1 inch/2inches?)

Return to Category Menu

Ph Level & Shrinkage

This response submitted by Brent Gorman - Dirty Creek Taxidermy & Tannery on 1/11/00. ( drtycreek@yahoo.com ) 205.240.72.168

Hey Ron,
I have been in the taxidermy business for 26 years and own my tannery.
1)The best Ph level is 3.
2)You get the shrinkage with the salt due to water follows salt and by this process the cape loses it moisture.
3) Some capes are different due to how much moisture they hold.
Actually Ron this is his wife anwsering and i woke him up to anwser these questions and tried my hardest to get him to say honey you're right on the 3rd question, but he's fast asleep. I'm pretty sure on the 3rd one but if i'm not i'm sure someone will correct me.
Any other questions give him a call he will be glad to help you or E-mail
Lisa Gorman

slip-up

This response submitted by Lisa Gorman - Dirty Creek Taxidermy & Tannery on 1/11/00. ( drtycreek@yahoo.com ) 205.240.72.168

I'm sorry my english teacher would hang her head. Answer, Answering now i've got it without my finger automatically slipping to that damn W first. Anyways i didn't leave a phone# (918)989-5465. We get alot of people that contact us over the replys left.
Have a good evening!
Lisa Gorman

slip-up

This response submitted by Lisa Gorman - Dirty Creek Taxidermy & Tannery on 1/11/00. ( drtycreek@yahoo.com ) 205.240.72.168

I'm sorry my english teacher would hang her head. Answer, Answering now i've got it without my finger automatically slipping to that damn W first. Anyways i didn't leave a phone# (918)989-5465. We get alot of people that contact us over the replys left.
Have a good evening!
Lisa Gorman

Return to Category Menu