dry hides after tanning help...frosted flakes

Submitted by burgess on 2/5/00. ( ) 216.28.128.181

I purchased the auto tanner that tans with air pressure and am having problems. The hides come out dry after thorough drying. Here is my procedure. FLESH. QUICK WASH AND RINSE. tHROUGH IN AUTO TANNER FOR 2 HOURS . THOROUGH FLESHING. TAN OVERNIGHT. I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE HIDES ROLLING IN A BALL (TIGHTLY WADDED UP NO GOOD.)THIS IS WHY I LEAVE OVERNIGHT WITH IT NOT SPINNING. I THEN TUMBLE IN SAWDUST AFTER DRIP DRY. THEN HOT OIL APPLIED AND SETS OVERNIGHT IN WARM ROOM . THEN TUMBLE AGAIN . COMES OUT LIKE CORN FLAKES. TRIED SANDING???? HELP????????

Return to Category Menu

Several problems here.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 2/7/00. ( taxidermist118@hotmail.com ) 204.180.103.75

SOunds like you need to add more WATER. I run two gallons of water and 10 ounces of crystals per cape.

Only do two capes at a time MAX. I had that problem till I added more water.

I also Flesh, run two hours, shave, then I only run the machine a additonal 30 to 60 minutes. Remove drain check for pink, run another 30 if needed. remove darin and oil. I then oil it and leave in frid. overnite and mount.

This has been done on a capes from around the country to include elk.

I too at first was over tanning with the machine. Good Luck John C

Also........................

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/7/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

John gave you good advice - but I'd like to add that because you are tumbling before you oil, you should keep it short. Dont drum them until they have lost their moisture. I know this may sound ridiculously short but - 5 minutes tumbling, then remove them, blow them off, and then oil them. You only want to "damp dry" the skins before oiling. You dont want to draw out the moisture inside the flesh, only to remove the excess moisture on the outside. Once dried, you need some small amount of moisture locked into the skin to expect them to be soft.

Return to Category Menu