help preserving a coon tail

Submitted by Simon on 3/2/00. ( coonhunter1998@hotmail.com ) 208.140.227.7

i recently cut the tail off a coon that our dogs treed and now i need some help with it, i pulled the bone out of the tail so all i have left is the hide, now what? any easy methods of preservation? will just salting it with idonzied salt work? any help is greatly appreciated, and i would like to keep the "flexibility" of the hide as it is

Return to Category Menu

Act fast

This response submitted by Len on 3/3/00. ( lfabich@pit.lysd.k12.ak.us ) 216.47.17.20

What happened to the rest of the coon? For starters split the tail to the end. Open and salt heavily. Let it dry until you can figure out the next step. Their is an variety of things to tan it with. From brains (really see www.braintan.com) to a host of home tan kits. I don't have any quick home tan ideas myself other than read the posts here. There is a lot of good tans. Your immediate concern is preventing it from spoilage. Salt or freeze. Do some research or hope someone else has some ideas. Hope this helps. Where is the rest of that coon?

Act fast

This response submitted by Len on 3/3/00. ( lfabich@pit.lysd.k12.ak.us ) 216.47.17.20

What happened to the rest of the coon? For starters split the tail to the end. Open and salt heavily. Let it dry until you can figure out the next step. Their is an variety of things to tan it with. From brains (really see www.braintan.com) to a host of home tan kits. I don't have any quick home tan ideas myself other than read the posts here. There is a lot of good tans. Your immediate concern is preventing it from spoilage. Salt or freeze. Do some research or hope someone else has some ideas. Hope this helps. Where is the rest of that coon?

Return to Category Menu