Dehairing: Never comes out...

Submitted by Trapper Tim on 3/13/00. ( ) 206.146.96.99

Since hair slippage is always a major concern in tanning, you wouldn't think dehairing a hide would be too difficult. It seems the hair only comes out when you don't want it to...

I had this raccoon, and after washing it out I notice the hair was slipping real bad. No big deal, I've been wanting to tan a dehaired hide. So I through it in the dehairing solution. 3 days later I check to see how it's doing. Hair wasn't pulling out too easy. I check it again after another 3 days. Still not ready. 2 months later (thats 8 weeks!) the hair is tighter than when I began. The only thing I can figure is that my kid was playing a joke on me and dumped alum in with it. ???

Any other ideas?

Return to Category Menu

It would help - What did you use for dehairing?

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/14/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

What did you use to dehair it? I use Hydrated Lime and it does an excellent job. Also - was the skin raw when you washed it? I think we all need some more info on what has happened, before someone can answer your question. Thanks.

Hair Off system

This response submitted by Mark on 3/14/00. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.73.194

We offer a complete Hair off system that you can make a paste
out of and apply it to the flesh side and fold then place in
a plastic bag. within 48 hrs the hair should start to slip.
If your paste is a little dry then just re-dampen it with a
spray bottle then place back into the bag. Once you push the
hair off then place into the delimer solution. Once delimed
no further pickling is necessary for most tanning.
Mark

Return to Category Menu