24 hr tanning method?

Submitted by Sean on 3/15/00. ( frizz@wtconnect.com ) 204.255.2.125

Hi, I was showed a so called tanning method by a near by Taxidermist and was wandering if any of you have ever heard or tried it. I'm not really interested in tanning my self but I do like to learn all I can about Taxidermy, and everthing involved . This Taxidermist uses Vineger and only keeps the cape in for 24 hrs or sometimes a little longer. Thats all he does, nothing before and nothing else after. Is their any way that this actually tan's the cape.

Return to Category Menu

Sorry!

This response submitted by Sean on 3/15/00. ( frizz@wtconnect.com ) 204.255.2.125

I should have read a little further down and I would have seen this very subject. But, it does seem that ya'll are saying its ok as a pickel . So I guess that you would feel that the cape should still be tanned . And in fact this method isn't tanning at all. But I must admit he has many mounts hanging aroung that he claims he used this tanning method and the mount seems to look ok. I was wandering if it was posible that he used the Vineger along with something else at the exact time to get him that 24 hr tan. I know for fact that the solution he pull's his cape out of to mount smells just like Vineger. I'v seen him pull it out let it dry a minute and through it on a form and go to town with it.
Thanks,

No tan

This response submitted by Frank on 3/15/00. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 152.202.252.213

It's just a pickle. If he's calling it a tan to his clients then he a liar. Hate to say it but it's true. Why don't you ask him to rehydrate his hide and remount it on another form. Bet ya he can't do it. Take a look at a mount that's at least 5-10 years old. Bet you find a lot of drumming and cracked skin. Bruce can elabrate more on this but no way no how.

Return to Category Menu