Witch to use

Submitted by Tom on 4/13/00. ( ) 209.207.47.67

Witch is a better Acid citric or saftee, I want an acid I can use more than one hide
I want to make a batch and be able to put up to 5 hides in not all at once. Would like to
keep it with one of the two.

Return to Category Menu

They're both good!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 4/14/00. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Both acids do well and once mixed as a Pickle. As long as you monitor the Ph level and check the Salt level, as well as stir it once a day, you shouldnt have any problems with either one. However, if you plan to use it over a long time, then I would choose the Saftee Acid for long term use! First of all - its Ph is kept below a 2.0 so it kills all bacteria - it actually sterilizes your skins - a citric Pickle is usually around 2.2-2.5. Also it takes a lot of Citric to maintain the Ph level - usually 3 Ozs. (by weight) of Citric Acid per each 1 Gallon of Pickle. Saftee Acid only requires 1/2 Fl. Oz. per each 1 Gallon of Pickle. If you mix up a 15 Gl. Pickle (as an example) you can put a hide into it and let it pickle, and then if you want add more - simple put them in. After they are out simply check the Ph and salt content and adjust it for a 1.5 Ph and 40% salt content (assuming you use Saftee Acid) and continue to put in skins. Dont forget to stir them once a day.

Return to Category Menu