Para-Soft Tanning Oil (Moisture Meter?)

Submitted by Joey Font on 1/4/01. ( ) 209.161.73.215

I just received a bottle of para soft tanning oil. I bought it because the ad said it could be used with all other tanning agents not just para tan. I am tanning with lutan f. However, upon reading the instructions, I see that you are to use the oil when the hide has a moisture content of approx. 20%. How critical is this? I do not have a moisture meter. Any way to guess moisture content? What if I squeezed most of the water out and then wrapped the hide in towels for a while? That seems like I'd get 80% of the water out. Huh? Anyone have any ideas about this. Thanks.

Return to Category Menu

That will work.

This response submitted by Dave on 1/4/01. ( stufer856@aol.com ) 64.12.97.12

What I do is, remover the hide from my lutan-f, rinse in cold water. I then spin in my old washing machine. Lay the cape flat, place a dry towel on it and press, warm your oil and brush on. It's really not that impotent to be at 20% moisture,That's just a guide line. The oil is sulfonated and will penetrate with water. It just allows you to move more oil into the cape faster with the moisture reduced.

Pull on skin

This response submitted by Mark on 1/4/01. ( Knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.86.2.172

One more option that you can do is to pull the skin out of the tan and hang it. Once it has been hanging you can pull on the skin and once you see some little white lines start to crack then its ready to oil. You will need to have good air circulatation and heat. usually it is the next day, this also depends on humidity, the bottom half will surely be wetter than the top, so you may rotate it, but daves response will be much easier.

Mark

Return to Category Menu