sticky sawdust problem

Submitted by jason smith on 1/9/01. ( jaketax@afo.net ) 208.61.228.3

When I receive a hide, I salt,flesh,then wash the hide thoroughly. At this point I return to the tumbler to dry my hide before I apply my tan. When I take the hide from the tumbler, I have a mess with the sawdust sticking to the hide. I never had this problem when I was using dry preservative on my mounts. I would always apply dry preservative before I went into the tumbler and the sawdust would never stick. What am I doing wrong, and is there a better process from freezer to having a hide ready to mount. Thanks Jason

Return to Category Menu

What tan

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 1/9/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.146.208.56

What tan are you using, and how are you using it?

Jason

This response submitted by George on 1/9/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.37

Frank stole the words right out of my mouth. I've used a bazillion of the quick tans as well as the bath tans and you've left out a whole bunch of stuff to get where you are. And why would you tumble it after you wash it. The sawdust is sticky because it's saturated with water from the washed hide.

I use what I feel is the simplest of all the tans with John Rineharts, but the hides are fleshed and salted first. Then they are washed, shaved, towel dried and then tanned. I never bother to tumble the hide as this only ruins good sawdust that can be used better on birds.

Sticking Sawdust

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Taxidermy Supply Co. on 1/9/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 208.141.229.5

Good morning to you Jason,

It sounds to me like you're using some type of SYN.TAN, SUCH AS lIQUA-TAN or CURATAN or the such. If this is the case, then tumdling the cape before you applp the oils is a real good idea to eliminate the excess water from the hair and skin.Then apply the synthetic oils.
If using a wet tan, such as the Lutan-F, tumbling would not be needed until you're ready to mount.

A tip for you to prevent alot of tumbling mix sticking onto the skin is to add about 10-12 oz. of POWDERED BORAX to your tumbling mix. I've done this for years with excelent results.

If I can help you further on this subject, feel free to give me a call at (1-800)843-3320 ext.105 or e-mail me at this address.

Have a good day,
Dave Belanger>VanDyke's

Return to Category Menu