BUGS?

Submitted by MASTER T on 1/9/01. ( ) 204.136.184.34

I have been in the buis.for over twenty years.Specializing in mammal mounts.I have never seen these so called "bugs" that eat peoples mounts, that I see well known taxidermists writing about.What the heck kind of bugs are you all talking about.I use DRY PRES. exsclusivley on all my mounts and have never seen this bug phenomena.I read the forum on a regular basis but have never submitted a statement.I try to stay out politics. I see a very bad thing happening here.There is some serious DP slamming going on.This should not be happening.I you cannot or are not talented enough to make a mount look exceptional using this process then use what is easiest for you but enough on the bad publicity already.I have had repeat customers for years.They always brag about how good their mount looks,good muscle tone,good facial detail and no bugs,for years.Imagine that.I even read in the archives,some text from mister Bill Yox,stating that he once judged a taxidermy competiton where a man using "DP" did very very well.Hu,Iwonder who he was?By the way I am from down here in the south(TEXAS)where the thin skinned deer roam.Still no bugs.Buggin out.

Return to Category Menu

LITTLE BLACK *&& *& *&^%$#@ "S

This response submitted by orange on 1/9/01. ( ) 209.215.181.108

Got nothing to do DP or tanned hides the culprit mostly is one of several species of dermistid beetle, usually one of the 3 or so variety of carpet beetle, the adults aren't the problem, like salmon they die shortly after spawning, its the larva thats causing the damage... knock on wood i just had my first experience after 24 years of collecting, two lifesize sheep tanned and one turkey DP....the adult is about the size of #2 shot......I bagged and fumigated the lifesize sheep after spot spraying with a non staining insecticide around the horns, then fumigated the whole collection 2 times about 4 weeks apart with a new dry fog fumigator from Raid...seems to have worked so far....I suspect that i caused the infestation by bringing in some bracket fungi as habitat. The turkey was tossed.

Dermestid beetles are the bugs

This response submitted by John C on 1/9/01. ( ) 208.44.115.63

Wont agrue with you on D.P. could not change your mind, if I tried but I will bet you have bugs somewhere on many of your mounts. I have not had any since I started tanning. I used everyones DP under the sun, to include ols poop heads that copies everyones forms.

I know someone that swore thy didnot have bugs and used it, I went in their shop and showed them, the went to tanning. Mater of fact I saw a 30-30 buck awhile back just eat up wioth bugs, so bad you could see them from 10 feet. It went into the trash,of course the repo antler were removed.

Carpet beetles ever hear of them? Same thing. Cya John C

You Got It Right!

This response submitted by Fur Dresser on 1/9/01. ( ) 208.31.201.79

Having been in the taxidermy business for over 35 years I have seen
a few bugs or two.

The facts that I have been able to see are that bugs do seen to go to
DP mounts faster. I have been told and seen mounts, especially cats,
bobcats and mountain lions, with a dermistid problem, when DP was used.

I say this without preference, especially since I am a taxidermist and
tanner. I have literally tried it all,and in the end went to a commmercial
tan that seems at this point, after 20 plus years, to be a more
stable mount with fewer bug problems.

The fact is I don't care what you use, but I can attest to the fact
that DP does not hold a candle to a properly tanned cape. Just think
about it, a DP skin is nothing more than a raw hide with powder on
the flesh side at best. A fur dressed skin at least has a chemical
that if properly done puts the chemical circling or encapslating
all the fibers. The fact is a bug does not like it, at least from
the vast majority of the mounts I have seen over the years, not to
say of the DP varity.

DP to me was a thing of my past. I have moved on to what I feel is a
better medium. A fur dressed skin properly done, I do stress that,
is a stable product that will not shrink, stretch, dry, or crack with
time, and overall the best, in my opinion, whether your asking or not,
for a specimen to be mounted.

There, I've said my peace and won't do it again.

The Fur Dresser

I agree

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 1/10/01. ( ) 208.178.217.67

totally

Dave Toms

THANKS

This response submitted by MASTER T on 1/10/01. ( ) 204.136.184.34

Thanks for the response guys.I guess one of these days I'll have to break down and try a truley tanned hide and see if there is a difference.Sounds kinda complicated and confussing to me.From what I read on the forum it seems it is just a shot in the dark when it comes to skin thickness.I read alot about hair slippage with liqua tan and lutan.It sounds like there is no garuntee.I guess it is trial and error, but who can afford that.Another thing.I just wonder if alot of this DP slamming is occurring due to the fact that ole poop head got busted for copyright fraud.He was wrong! But I just wonder.Thanks for not slamming me to hard for using DP but I hope the bugs stay on your side of the street.

It's not any harder

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 1/10/01. ( dtkt@initco.net ) 208.178.217.239

Especially if you sent them to a tannery :-) The only reason I do it myself is I have better control of the process and turn around time. Hey, if Bruce Rittle can talk me through tanning and using a cir knife I assure you anyone can do it. It does take a little longer, but I do not think it is any harder. Do you shave your hides when using DP? To me that really is the hardest part of tanning. If you are not shaving yur hides, man if you ever do get a tanned hide I think you will be pleasantly surprized. Good Luck either way.

Dave Toms

Taxidermy Today article

This response submitted by furball on 1/10/01. ( ) 209.240.221.134

there was an article about this in this issue of Taxidermy Today Magazine, was a very informative article on those pesky little dermestid beetles and what the options are for protecting you mounts

When DP is used, do the viruses go dormaint

This response submitted by Bushbuck on 1/11/01. ( ) 208.44.115.60

When and if used on say a rabid coyote, do the virus die or do they go dormaint? Anthrax can live for one hundred fifty years in arrid climits. SO to me it stand to reason the virus could go to sleep in the skin an dreactivated by accident at a later date.

Return to Category Menu