where do you get your alum?

Submitted by Tiffany on 1/10/01. ( ) 205.188.209.40

Hi,

I have been buying my alum through catalogs, but searched the archives and found that some get it at the grocery store. My grocery store doese not carry it, and niether do the hardware stores. So I was wondering were every one else buys it. It seems silly to have it mailed since shipping can cost alot.
Thanks for any insight
Tiffany

Return to Category Menu

Request it

This response submitted by Lorrie on 1/10/01. ( Lorro1969@aol.com ) 205.188.208.230

Hi there,

I'm sure that others might be able to provide you with some helpful information on where you might purchase it in bulk.

But for now...

I have a friend that had his drugstore order it in special. After a few times, the store decided to stock it as a regular item.

Good Luck, and Best Wishes!

Lorrie

Alum

This response submitted by Mark C on 1/10/01. ( ) 205.138.136.167

Any place that carries pickling spices or canning supplies should carry it.

Lawn and Garden centers

This response submitted by Warthog on 1/11/01. ( ) 208.44.115.60

Lawn and garden centers carry it for fertilized as it raises the acidity of the ground. What you want is Aluminum Sulphate. It is a very tried and true tan.

Alum

This response submitted by j.j. on 1/12/01. ( ) 206.191.213.216

I have been doing alittle tanning on the side, and I get my alum in bulk from the taxidermist. I find that his is less expensive than the pickling alum in the store, just not of edible quality.

alum

This response submitted by jeff on 1/12/01. ( ) 206.191.213.216

I do alittle tanning on the side and found the best price on alum can be found at the local taxidermist. If you have one local who does deer mounts he should have some. good luck jeff

Thank you

This response submitted by Tiffany on 1/13/01. ( ) 205.188.209.13

Thank you all, I actually picked up a 15lb bag at the local garden center for about 1o bucks, I would have never thought of it w/ out help, thanks

Return to Category Menu