coyote face at home

Submitted by nick on 1/10/01. ( ) 205.188.208.233

Hello,
I shot a coyote today and it had bad mange all over its body. But I was able to save the face. I cut it off and it is currently out in the cold for the night. Is there any thing I can do at home to preserve it? I don't know if tanning applies, but if it does, what do i need to do it. Will just letting it dry out suffice? Any technique would be appreciated. Thanks, nick

Return to Category Menu

Throw it away ASAP

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 1/11/01. ( ) 155.76.224.2

Nick,

Mange is caused by the sarcoptic mite, a small little critter that lives on the skin of animals. This mite is probably all over the coyote, not just the areas that are hairless. Humans can get mange, so the best thing to do is not even touch an animal that has it. I don't know what kind of protection you used when cutting the head off. Hopefully, at least you were wearing rubber gloves. Throw this thing away before it infects you, your family, pets, etc. Better yet would be to burn it.

Bruce Norton

I definitely wore gloves!

This response submitted by Nick on 1/11/01. ( ) 205.188.209.71

Thanks for the advice Bruce, I did make sure to wear gloves. It is hanging out side and no one has touched it, but there is no way to save it? It's not like I have an emotional attatchment to it, but I thought it would be neat to save! Is there no way to clean it and preserve it? Thanks a lot, Nick

mange

This response submitted by deer woman on 1/11/01. ( ) 152.163.188.7

I have heard that mange will die if frozen a long time, or if you spray or soak with a mange killing insecticide ( they make some for dogs). I'm sure a nice acid pickle bath soak would kill them too.I trapped a mangey fox, but kept it becuase, well it was my 2nd fox, my first was just up the hill on the same day, so it has some sentimental value, The mange is basically on its butt and tail, I froze it a week, thawed and skinned and its now dried.I have not been itching , so i didn't get mange from it.Some long lining trappers once told me the things die after a while in the fur shed, when the skins are being dried, I even got some fox skins from them that had mangey butts, but good upper fur, and did not get any mites on me then either.

Return to Category Menu