Confused!

Submitted by Jeff S. on 1/12/01. ( jjsmith@localnet.com ) 207.251.196.160

Im'very confused why do I use salt with EZ-100 when it is stressed to rinse and rerinse the salt out of a cape after pulling out of a pickle.It's said that salt left in a cape will cause sweating during humid weather.
Next ?, I went to neutralize my deer cape and before adding any baking soda I checked the ph level and it was 4.5, every thing I read says to add baking soda until you reach 4.0,it tans best at 4.0 .I added 3 tablespoons of baking soda to 5gls of water(tap)with 2 capes,ph level was 5.5 now will this be alright?I'm using EZ100.
Thank for any help. Jeff S.

Return to Category Menu

Jeff

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 1/12/01. ( ) 208.178.217.65

Jeff you are gojng the wrong way. Use vinegar (white) to drop the ph back to 4.0

Baking soda raises the PH

Dave Toms

Just clean tap water?

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 1/13/01. ( ) 207.251.196.27

So if I put in 5 gallons of tap water and check ph and its 4.5,then add capes and remains between 4.0/4.5 then I don't need to add anything to neutralize capes?
thanks for helping.
Jeff S.

If your tap water is 4.5 on it's own

This response submitted by BobB on 1/13/01. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 216.165.140.10

It's way too acidic. Call a plumber before your pipes are destroyed. At that pH
you should have bad stains in your shower and sink, from the acidic water.

The water will eat through your copper pipes, causing them to leaken, leak
and possibly burst. If the plumber you call, doesn't sell the filter and supplies
to correct the problem, he/she will tell you who can.

jeff

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/13/01. ( ) 205.188.209.14

If you were already at 5 something, did you pickle? That would have you at around 2 or 3. Maybe you should contact Bruce Rittel direct before you loose a cape. Hes the one who sells the ez 100. I believe the salt would help open the skin one last time, but ask Bruce.

yes

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 1/14/01. ( jjsmith@localnet.com ) 207.251.196.212

Thanks everyone for responding!,
Yes I did pickle the capes,in fact I pickled them for 4 days,shaved,then left in pickle for an additional 3 days while maintaining a 1.5 ph level,then I put water in container and cked. ph before adding baking soda it was 4.5,what I'm confused about is I need to know do i still need to add baking soda?or should i put capes in and see if that lowers ph then worry about adding the nessasary amount of baking soda to raise it to
thank 4.0?, if it does go lower than 4.0.
Thanks again
Jeff S.

Jeff

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 1/14/01. ( ) 208.178.217.70

according to my directions you should neutralize the cape prior to putting it in the ez tan 100. Once you put the capes in the EZ tan then just maintain it at 4.0. Vinegar to lower, baking soda to raise, it don't take much so go slow. Good Luck

Dave Toms

Return to Category Menu