Changing pickle solution after a few days

Submitted by Bryan B. on 1/25/01. ( ) 207.170.54.114

I am currenlty pickling my first deer cape. The hide has been in the pickle (citric acid) for a couple of days and I have noticed that the color of the solution is becoming slightly yellowish brown in color. I think that the color is probably just dirt or blood. Should I make another batch of pickling solution and put the hide in it or will the hide be o.k.? Also, how long can I keep the hide in a pickle?

Return to Category Menu

Pickle

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Taxidermy Supply Co on 1/25/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 208.141.229.5

Bryan,

There is no need to make another batch of pickle. Just make sure that your PH level is maintained. The yellow you're seeing is probably the dirt and blood coming out of the hair and skin.

I personaly would'nt recomend that you leave it in the citric acid for more than a week.
Soak for 3 days, flesh, soak for another 24 hrs., neutrilise, wash out and go to your tanning.

I hope this has helped you. If you need any more assistence, give me a call at (1-800)843-3320 ext 105 or e-mail me at this address.

Have a graet day,
Dave>VanDyke's

Return to Category Menu