AUTO TANNER- BAD STUFF

Submitted by Chip on 1/29/01. ( cstamper@mail.usmo.com ) 204.184.44.248

I am about to buy an auto tanner. Everyone I have talked to loves
these machines. Does an anyone have a personal horror story or just want to warn me off, before I take the plunge.

Chip

Return to Category Menu

Works great for me!

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 1/29/01. ( ) 155.76.224.2

Chip,

I have run about 100 capes thru the auto tanner in the last 3 years. No problems what so ever. The alum tan does shrink up the hide - that's what sets the hair. So you need to have a fleshing machine to shave the hide thin to get the stretch back. I always get at least the original size back after shaving, usually more.

Bruce Norton

Over tanned, alittle cold clear water and it will relax

This response submitted by John C on 1/29/01. ( ) 208.44.115.32

every cape, hide of any kind I have run thru the machine has mounted just fine. It really plumps the hide up for shaving.

I have had mine since they first came out so its been awhile.

You can over tan with it and it will shrink the cape or hide. I now relax everything in clear cold water ONLY for a few minutes and they are fine.

When you get that green rotteing animal in skin it out thru it in and it will save looooooooooosing the hide.

Here is whats great, last night while I was asleep the tanner made me money, I had 1 l/z badger, 2 l/s bobcats and a coyote cape tanning. I have skiined 2 fox and 1 bobcat today and will shave them tomorrow, no waiting its done in the am and your ready for work.

I would almost quite taxidermy before I would give mine up!

I have not heard anything bad about them, except the early models rusted a bit. I know Ive, ran 250 deer capes in mine plus elk capes(small one is tight for elk) caribou, Mt goat, everything, for small carnivores its the best thing since sliced bread.

John C

Auto-tanner

This response submitted by Kent on 1/29/01. ( racksnfinstax@hotmail.com ) 216.163.21.40

Chip, I've run everything from small mamals to l/s bear in mine with no problems what so ever. It has even survived a shop fire with minimal damage, and still works fine. Kind of like a Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Good luck, Kent

Autotanner

This response submitted by MarkV. on 1/29/01. ( fishspec30@centurytel.net ) 207.230.196.35

I have had mine for over a year. Have run a mice to a moose in it. No problems. Great investment. I am most impressed with the tanning I have done recently on Pronghorn which are usually a bugger to do if not done properly. It totally locks the hair in.Thumbs up here, MarkV.

Return to Category Menu