salt help

Submitted by mark on 1/30/01. ( mnmstuffit@aol.com ) 152.163.189.131

was wondering how many times i can use the same salt on my hides. i always use my salt from the second salting for the first salting on the next batch and than discard. but i was wondering if i dried the salt from the first salting could i reuse it. also how do people dispose of their old salt
thanks for any response
M&M

Return to Category Menu

Salt is cheep

This response submitted by Rob on 1/30/01. ( ) 207.51.197.94

I have been told never to reuse old salt salt is cheep allways use new.I live in MI so I use the salt on my driveway in the winter and just rebag it and throw it in the trash in the summer.

There are salt loving bacteria.

This response submitted by John C on 1/30/01. ( ) 208.44.115.31

If you keep using the old salt, you will soon find it turning a little pink, this is not blood like I first beleived (I reused salt) after close examination under a micro scope you will find its bacteria that thrives in salt. I had some hair slippage and could not figure out why, then a old taxidermist told me what I was doing wrong. Reusing salt was the problem.

Well at $2.85 for 50 lbs, its the cheapest, best thing you can do for a hide by not reusing. John C

Just spent the day reusing mine

This response submitted by BobB on 1/30/01. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 216.165.140.39

Wisc got rain all night, so this am we had an ice rink, where our driveway formerly stood. Almost 30 gallons of once used salt later, we had a driveway again (well the hill anyhow).

I keep all my once used in cheap 33 gal trash cans, I give it to my ederly neighbors each winter and always use my yearly stockpile. With most of the winter yet to come, I may soon have to dip into my unopened salt.

Return to Category Menu