Tanning time for Fox and Ez 100

Submitted by Len on 2/11/01. ( lfabich@pit.lysd.k12.ak.us ) 216.47.17.20

I would like to hear from a variety of folks on here there recommendations for the time to leave a fox hide in a static tanning bucket. I am using EZ 100. Directions say less than 24 hours. What have you found that works best. Since it is a thin hide I was thinking about 15 hours. I have put in a small DC water pump for circulation. How much do you think this will speed up the process. It really seems to be circulating well.

Return to Category Menu

You may tan faster!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/11/01. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.18.141

Len - you may find that you can pull that Fox in about 6-8 hours, or less, using a pump in there! Its pretty much what a wet drum does when tanneries use them. They use the folding and exposure to liquids as they tumble to tan in about 3-4 hours with EZ-100! Watch it carefully! I've never tried using a pump like that - so I cant tell you how long it takes - just guessing!

thanks

This response submitted by Len on 2/12/01. ( lfabich@pit.lysd.k12.ak.us ) 216.47.17.20

Thanks Bruce now the big question. What do I watch carefully for, as you said? Hide Texture. It seems to be the only thing I can notice change. It gains a grainy feel. I would like some more input on what to look for a hide to know when it is tanned.

Return to Category Menu