Re: Black spots on cape

Submitted by Jeff C on 2/16/01. ( jc2@nycap.rr.com ) 24.29.89.165

Dont tell me I stumpped everybody? That would be the first! Seriously, can someone please read and answer if you can, the post I posted a few days ago titled Black spots on cape? They seem to be getting softer but i would really like to know what caused them. Thanks for your time
Jeff C

Return to Category Menu

Dried meat

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 2/16/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.165.127.216

It has happened and it may just be an area where either you have a serious dried meat here or this is where the deer was draged on. I would just say inject those spots with warm water and some baciacide. But since you have it in the pickle I might try doing it with the pilkle. Next time make sure it's rehydrated till you put it in the pickle. It may take 16 hrs to rehydrate a hide.

Tough to Tell

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 2/16/01. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 209.143.26.11

If I saw the cape, I could probably give you an answer, so could others, but without seeing it, it's just a guess. Did you happen to dry it near heat, if so you could have some spots that are literally cooked and will never be right. Did some of the spots happen to get dry before you salted it, making it air dried which will look darker and not re-hydrate as easy. Did you happen to have spots that just didn't get salted properly, again that would make a dark area that won't re-hydrate as well. Was there possibly any odd substance that came into contact with the skin at any time that might cause a strange reaction? Are they possibly scars which would show just like a drag as Frank mentioned? Also you need to do as he said and make sure it's completely re-hydrated before it goes in the pickle, otherwise those spots won't soak up very well. For now, just keep working it in the pickle, shave over it if possible, put it on the beam and scrape over it, any thing to try and physically open the fibers on those dark spots and it should eventually loosen up.

Return to Category Menu