Hot water in auto-tanner?

Submitted by Gery on 2/16/01. ( huntershav@aol.com ) 64.12.96.171

I just received my auto tanner and the instructions say to use hot water ,I assume to disolve tanning crystals, to put the skins in. I've always been afraid to put skins in anything warmer than room temp. or colder for fear of hair slippage. Do you actually put skins in hot water or allow solution to cool first? Eager to get started but wanted this question answered first. Thanks in advance for any responses. gery

Return to Category Menu

Hot water will slip the hair.

This response submitted by John C on 2/16/01. ( ) 208.44.115.46

My set of instructions never said that.

I use cold water 2 gallons of cold tap water and 10 ounces by wieght of crystall per gallon of water,
50-60 psi tumble for 2 hours, shave hide run for 30 minutes more, pull out towel dry and oil, let set for a couple hours and mount or freeze.

Hot water

This response submitted by Gery on 2/16/01. ( ) 64.12.96.104

Thanks John,
I went and got the instructions just to be sure i read right and sure enough on page 4, step 7, it says for every skin/cape to be tanned, put 1 gallon of hot water in tank. Then step 8 says for each gallon of water add 1 pound of tan and in step 9 you add 1/4 of oil.I just received these this week and the hot water scared me. If the instructions are incorrect I wouldn't want others to make a mistake and damage skins also. thanks again... Gery

Go ahead make my day!

This response submitted by John C on 2/16/01. ( ) 208.44.115.52

I would never add a skin to hot water. I gave you a formula that works very well, I have never lost a hide, but no you wont beleive me.

Go ahead and tell us what happens. I will put money on my way.

I'll get in hot water now

This response submitted by Bob on 2/16/01. ( ) 63.74.160.17

I've been using hot water (HOT HOT) since I started with my auto tanner. I've done whitetail, elk, coyote, fox and squirrel. Never had a problem with slippage. I DO MEAN INTO HOT WATER.

Didn't mean to make you hot , John

This response submitted by Gery on 2/16/01. ( ) 64.12.102.26

John,
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I didn't say or insinuate that i didn't believe you. I was only sharing with you and others who read this forum what the instructions said in case it was an error and to prevent any loss for anyone. I even called Steve and to my amasement he said hot water was correct. Sorry if i came across as unbelieving, my intention was to help others... also thanks to Bob for his willingness to respond......Gery

Return to Category Menu