Re-oil?

Submitted by Rich on 2/16/01. ( sd80max@aol.com ) 205.188.209.167

I have a tanned cape I was going to mount and decided I'd shave it down thinner should I re-oil, (the white color is all gone)

Return to Category Menu

Please excuse my assumtion.....

This response submitted by Rob Patton on 2/16/01. ( Taxidermis@aol.com ) 63.39.134.100

But I must assume that you already shaved your cape thinner after you tanned it. If all of the white is gone that is a good sign that the tan did not penetrate entirely through the skin. I would allow the cape to tan more and assure that it is white through out, then re-oil.

Re-Oiling

This response submitted by Dave at VanDyke's Taxidermy Supply Co. on 2/16/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 208.141.229.5

Hello Rich,
It would be a good idea to re-oil your cape.Many times, it'll take 2-3 oilings to thoroughly pennitrate a skin. By re-shaving, you've probably removed the majority of the oils that you have already applied.I would definately re-oil!

Have a great day,
Dave>VanDyke's

Opps

This response submitted by Rob Patton on 2/16/01. ( Taxidermis@aol.com ) 63.39.134.100

Before the Spelling Police jump me let me correct my spelling of assumption. I humbly apologize for my lack of knowledge of the English language.

Return to Category Menu