Bad Tannery experience

Submitted by Jim Howell on 2/23/01. ( ) 209.165.173.63

I just got back two foxes that I sent to the tannery. Because of the color on one of them I didn't think one of them was mine. My suspicions were correct when I realized I sent open skiinned hides and got back cased skinned. It took close to nine months to get them so I won't be sending them back. I'd tan them myself but I always seem to find a way to mess up fox hides. My question is the next time I take hides to a tannery what do I need to do to make sure I get my own hides back? Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Mark them

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 2/23/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.146.23.252

Those of us that use a tannery will say mark them. When and only when I send out bear hides to be tanned I mark all my hides with a number code system. You can send with the shipment and let them know you have them coded so that you will get your hides and only your hides back. I once had a bad experence with a well known tannerey but so have others and swithched. The following year a new tannerery opened up and I have been using them with great succes. East Coast Tannery.

TRY

This response submitted by BDrake on 2/23/01. ( ) 140.254.113.114

attaching numbered plastic lock tags to them. I believe VanDykes sells them. Or do a search in your phone book. JOHN3:16

I have to echo Frank.......

This response submitted by Kristoph on 2/23/01. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 152.163.188.35

and recommend East Coast, I visit them often as they're friends and they are very consistent with marking [punching] customers skins to insure the fact that they return from where they came. 1-877-tan-furs

Jim what happen to your foxes when you tan them

This response submitted by Leon on 2/24/01. ( mith124@hotmail.com ) 209.224.41.74

I was wondering what is going wrong with your hides with you tan them, I have actually tanned foxes a few times and I being surprise with the results, they come very nice and I had much lest headaches that doing coon or beaver.... I was just wondering, maybe is that because I am kind a new at this, i don't know any better what is good and what is really good

Leon

Return to Category Menu