auto tanner help!

Submitted by loy peters on 2/16/01. ( petersloy@hotmail.com ) 206.252.169.202

I use the auto tanner and the mounts look great, until the mount dries then shrinkage big time (ie deer)all of the detail in the head neck and around the eyes pulls out I follow mfg. directions and have used all of the quality hide pastes also the mannican is properly prept, what is up with this? bout to drive me nuts! thanks for any advise! )

Return to Category Menu

Sound like your not thinning your hides enough

This response submitted by John C on 2/16/01. ( ) 208.44.115.101

1st hide is to thick drying causing extreme shrinkage, Drying too fast (ever see your shoes shrink and crack from being dried to quick) Hide paste is not sticking or you put it on to thin. Form still has mold release on it (wipe with laq.thinner very well) then ruff up the complete form, or you are streching the hide on tooooo laaarrggeeee of a form.

H1 John C

This response submitted by loy peters on 2/16/01. ( petersloy@hotmail.com ) 206.252.169.202

Thanks for the quick solution but no I use laq. thin. and also sand the mann. I thin the hide so much I can almost see through it My shop is controled to 68 degrees and the mounts (deer) take about 2 too 3 days to dry I have only experienced this problem since I started using the auto tanner, by the way I just was told about ths forum by a good friend in south c. this is great! I have been lookin through the past forums man talk about a wealth of infor.!what now John C

reference-auto tanner help

This response submitted by jeff on 2/16/01. ( aritchie00@aol.com ) 205.188.208.165

From what you are describing I am assuming you are using the tanning crystals that come with the machine. I had similiar problems when I first started using mine and never was fully satisfied with the results of the tan with the crystals. I am now using a citric acid pickle and oiling with kwik-n-eze and am having no problems whatsoever with drumming. The process I am using is described in Noonkester's catalog and I follow it exactly. The time involved in this method is comparable to the tanning crystal process. Good Luck!

Autotanner

This response submitted by MarkV. on 2/17/01. ( fishspec30@centurytel.net ) 207.230.196.68

Sounds like you are not properly oiling after tanning. I had alot of shrinkage in my mounts also due to improper oiling. After I switched to proplus oil from Rittels I have had no shrinkage problems regardless of which tan you are using. The thinning of the cape is also important. Never add the oil to the machine, swab them after tanning for better results. Good luck, Mark

Return to Category Menu