Another ? for Mr. Rittle

Submitted by Dean on 2/26/01. ( wildart@cac.net ) 216.90.51.147

I have a question on neutralizing a whitetail cape. I checked the archives and recieved only a partial answer. I,m pickling capes in a three gallon solution and am wondering how much baking soda i should use and what the ph level should read after 30 minutes of soaking. I'm tanning the capes with e-z 100. Thanks in advance----Dean

Return to Category Menu

Neutralization!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/27/01. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Mix your neutralization bath using 1 Oz. of Baking Soda to each one gallon of water - or in your case - 3 Ozs.. Dont worry about the final Ph reading - initially your neutralization solution will read approx. a Ph = 7.8, but as the skin or cape neutralizes, this will change and go downward. After 20-30 minutes it may read 5.0-6.0 - but dont worry about it. Since you are using our Rittels EZ-100, its only important that the final Ph is higher than the 4.0 you will set your tanning solution at before you place the skins or capes into it. It "prefers" a skin Ph level higher than its Ph = 4.0!

Return to Category Menu