advice needed on home tanning my first deerskin ... please!

Submitted by anaiia on 2/19/01. ( anaiia@hotmail.com ) 195.92.194.34

I just recieved a deerskin, and am caught off guard. I've been wanting to do this for years, but wasn't expecting to be starting right now! The more i search for info the more confused i get.
For starters, i'm in small town Scotland and can't find any tanning suppliers anywhere, so can anyone give me any hints on some simple techniques, with simple ingredients? (I tried to get brains to do a braintan, but I only got the skin) I'm not expecting to produce anything professional at my first stab at this, but i'd like to have something that doesnt resemble a hairy sheet of cardboard at the end of it.
Please, if anyone has any tips, and is kind enough to mail me, i'd be very thankful.
thanks
:)
anaiia

Return to Category Menu

home tanning

This response submitted by ed charlotte taxidermy on 2/20/01. ( tdermy1999@aol.com ) 152.163.188.198

clean the skin and salt it wait 24 hours shake off the salt and salt it again till you have it dryed then i suggest going to one of the sites for taxidermy supplys thay have a wide background in tanning and can make you time at tanning a trimph instead of a struggle just go step by step and take you time it will come out ok good luck
ed from charlotte taxidermy

Home Tanning

This response submitted by Larry Silcox on 7/8/01. ( silcoxco.@home.com ) 24.252.199.14

I have fifteen years of experience tanning skins. I have produced a deer skin tanning kit which includes all the chemicals necessary to tan the deer skin and a one hour step by step video that is very easy to follow. Any one can do it! The price is $25.00 U.S. Dollars plus shipping and handling. You can contact me at the following email address: silcoxco.@home.com
my phone number is 850-623-1193

Thank You,

Larry Silcox
owner of Silcox Co.
Santa Rosa County,FL

Return to Category Menu