Deer Hide is dry, what next?

Submitted by John on 2/20/01. ( jogremmy@yahoo.com ) 40.0.40.10

Last fall I shot a whitetail deer and decided it was a waste to throw away the hide. I scraped all of the fat, and as much membrane off the hide as I could get. It dried nicely on its own in a garage at about 35 F. I soaked it in a brine solution for a week, then soaked in water to get the salt away. I then put it in the dryer (Wife loved that!) and finally hung it in front of the fire one night. So now it is bone dry and very stiff. What should I do next? All I want is for it to be soft and free of any meat smell & grease so I can hang it on the wall or drape it over something. The hair has not slipped at all, & I want it on.

Return to Category Menu

Send it out

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 2/20/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.165.42.169

I will not touch this one with a 10" pole. Get a hold of a tannery and see if they can save it.

You handle this totaly wrong. There are certain procedures a person should follow. Read the archives for more info on how you should handle a cape. You started off right then went off the deep end. Maybe Bruce can say some words of hope here.

yep just right to send to a tannery

This response submitted by John C on 2/20/01. ( ) 208.44.115.52

or get a book on tanning, cause you aint begun yet! Check your library or search the TANNING BUTTON.

Dave Says

This response submitted by Dave Taylor on 2/22/01. ( mastertaxidermist@jam.rr.com ) 24.164.216.51

LOL,

send that hide off! put it in the hands of someone else before you do any more damage. ha ha!

You certainly didn't follow the beaten path with that one, but it might just work out fine for you when all is said and done.

look up a tannery in the supply index and call them for shipping instructions. they will do the rest.

in the future, take your skin, remove the largest chunks of meat and tissue, then heavily salt it until it dries out(naturally!--no using the dryer and fire place this time!LOL) then ship it off.

no need to do anything other than that.

Good luck with it,
Dave

Return to Category Menu